Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 42

Here are some Top Ten Lists I created. Something tells me that I mentioned about posting them in another post. And I said I'd do it later. I'll show you now.

TOP TEN IN GENERAL:
1. Chicago - my #1 favorite movie. (see "Currently listening")
2. 2012 - I didn't want to see this based on when I first saw the trailer and I
ended up loving it when I saw it. I was on the edge of my seat - literally.
3. A Lot Like Love - a very good dramedy. It's meant to be a comedy, but ti has touching moments.
4. Juno - This is the first movie where people really knew who Ellen Page was as opposed to X-Men or Hard Candy
5. Little Miss Sunshine - Witty and dramatic. Unique storyline and clever characters.
6. Love Actually - Liam Neeson's and Emma Thompson's best performances.
7. Sleepless in Seattle - The perfect romantic comedy
8. The Devil Wears Prada - Meryl Streep. What else?
9. Julie & Julia - Like two movies put into one. Two stories about two married women who take up cooking while adjusting to new lifestyles. Also, it's Meryl Streep in her one of her funniest performances as Julia Child
10. Easy A - The best teen comedy since Mean Girls.

Fun Facts:
While Little Miss Sunshine and Juno have Best Picture nominations from the Oscars, Chicago is the only one that won.
While Diablo Cody said she was inspired from her own pregnant friend to write Juno, Julie & Julia is the only biographical film.
Sleepless in Seattle is the only '90s released film.

TOP TEN ORIGINAL SCREENPLAYS
1. American Beauty - I saw this movie once and fell in love with it. Rarely does that happen because I normally see movies more than once to see if I really love them. American Beauty just had it.
2. Easy A - Partially based on The Scarlet Letter, it's still original in some sense.
3. Little Miss Sunshine - Funny storylines and characters.
4. Juno - Ellen Page's best performance
5. Love Actually - The plot is intertwining which adds a uniqueness to it.
6. The 40-Year-Old Virgin - Hilarious. All the way through. Catherine Keener makes this slapstick comedy to be a romantic comedy.
7. Sleepless in Seattle - The best romantic comedy ever.
8. Moonstruck - Witty script with emotional scenes.
9. S1M0NE - No movie can I think of was about a man digitally creating an actress with major Hollywood buzz other than S1M0NE
10. Shakespeare in Love - Still historical fiction, but Gwyneth Paltrow's character goes to great lengths to be in a play where her gender is not welcome.

Fun fact:
This list was created intentionally for American Beauty because I saw it after making my Top Ten list because I didn't want to bump anything down.

TOP TEN BEST ACTRESS OSCAR WINNING PERFORMANCES

1. Mary Poppins - Julie Andrews created My Fair Lady's Eliza Doolittle on te stage before she wasn't wanted in the film version which got her this role in one of her movie debuts. The Best Actress win shows her confidence and determination after her My Fair Lady rejection.
2. The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock's best performance. Right under this is Miss Congeniality.
3. Coal Miner's Daughter - Sissy Spacek really captures the life of Loretta Lynn who picked Spacek herself to play her in this movie.
4. Walk the Line - Also in a country singer performance, this is Reese Witherspoon's best performance as June Carter
5. Moonstruck - Cher is funny in this, but it does have it's touching moments.
6. Erin Brockovich - Julia Robert's character really shows the trouble and disgrace that Erin Brockovich had to deal with.
7. Million Dollar Baby - My favorite Hilary Swank performance. Playing a female boxer that proves that no one will bring her down.
8. The Reader - Kate Winslet, through prosthetics, really shows aging from a young woman to 70-years-old and deals with the most dramatic love story out of her other performances.
9. Shakespeare in Love - Like I said before, Gwyneth Paltrow goes great lengths to play a character where her gender is not accepted.
10. As Good as it Gets - Helen Hunt plays a single mother who won't even let Jack Nicholson get her way.

I don't have a Top Ten Best Actor winning performances because I haven't seen enough films. Although, Kevin Spacey for American Beauty would be at the top.

Currently listening: the Chicago soundtrack. I love this movie ever so much. Nothing tops it, but something might eventually. As of now, nothing. I can't think of another movie that I love more than this. In my first top ten list, American Beauty would place between 4-6. I don't want to add it because Easy A was so good that it made it in but placed at number 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment